Thursday, June 08, 2006

And then she laughed in my face

I suppose it was about time. Ever since I've stepped foot on the streets of Seoul, I must confess that I too have been snickering to myself. Snickering at the ways of these people across the great Pacific, their hair, their makeup, their inability to pronounce the letter "f." It's quite satisfying to walk around knowing that I possess the linguistic skills that they would all kill for! Oh to covet the ways of the American!!!!

And then it happened. I know my Korean isn't great. But I didn't realize it was THAT bad. My relatives have been fairly patient with me even though I literally make up words and sprinkle every sentence with "ummm" and "errr" and sideways glances. But to think that a complete stranger would laugh (mouth covered of course) in my face! I had merely gone to a nearby gym--not California WOW, of which I will soon be a patron--to ask if they had spinning. And when the receptionist looked back at me in complete confusion, I proceeded to explain what spinning was in Korean, in what I thought was fairly coherent and grammatically correct Korean. The look of utter confusion explodes into full blown, hand-covered laughter as she tells me she can't understand what I'm saying because of my American accent.

How am I supposed to talk to anyone in Korean ever again? This woman at Amazon Fitness has created in me another reason to be self-conscious. Isn't it bad enough that my hairy legs have already been gasped at and that I don't have the cool/yucky haircut???

I'll just have to take my American-sensibilities to California WOW...where I will proceed to spin my troubles away.

Your postcards will be in transit shortly. I apologize for the delay, my friends.

1 comment:

Tiff said...

Don't worry Paul! At least it was a stranger, my relatives never let me forget how bad my Chinese is; they're supposed to be nice to me! Anyway, good to hear you're still alive over there! What's your address in Korea anyway?

Tiff