Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ode to British Cheese

I was just watching a program here in Korea and the opening credits were accompanied by this song:



Never heard it? Probably better that you haven't. It's S Club 7. Same manager as the Spice Girls. Same cheese. But they didn't quite bombard the United States like the Spice Girls. People had to actually seek this stuff out and have it creep up in the bargain bins at music stores, kind of like how rats brought the bubonic plague. It wasn't until they came out with their more adult contemporary pop friendly "Never Had a Dream Come True" that they were allowed American airplay. How quickly we've vaccinated ourselves from this British invasion and opened our doors to British music with a bit more pedigree.

Sad part is, as the show was starting, I found myself singing along to the song. I know all the words to S Club 7's "Bring it All Back."

Am I proud?

No.

It just reminds me of how badly I don't want to become a grown up.

5 comments:

Work in Progress said...

I remember the S Club 7 TV show! It was like British SBTB for me...

Why do I like silly pop music?

Tiff said...

I have to admit I was a pretty big spice girls fan back in middle school. Eep, I may have said too much.

Anyway, I was taking the general GREs, planning on applying to neurosci PhD programs this fall. I'm dreading going through the whole application process again, I thought I was done with this!

How's life Paul? I've been eyeing your pictures from Spain jealously.

cheryl said...

pole, this is good karaoke music, at the very least. i can't believe you find this stuff. come visit anytime, dude! my interview is this wednesday, so it determines whether or not i'm staying in chicago. :)

cheryl said...

pole, how do you know dave kim. i saw you as his friend on facebook. i was blown away.

cheryl said...

yikes. the world is too small for me. good luck, pole. good luck.